Monday, August 27, 2007

Optical Art Research...

[The work of Victor Vasarely]

- This piece is interesting. Many pieces of Op Art simple, to just trick your eye that you are seeing a differnt space than the 2d image. This is showing an actually picture.


The zebra picture is really cool. It is made of of contrasting peices or organic shapes to make up the zebras.

I like the idea of the overlapping shapes in this piece. I don't really thing the colors work as well as the previous black and white pieces. I just don't feel the same amount of contrast in this one. I think that there are too many colors and it feels very muddled and less like op art. The sense of movement is also drown out by the colors.

I like the black and white work of Vasarely better than his colored work. I like that they are not the standard optical illusion that most picture when they think of op art.

[Things to explore based on Vasarely's work.]
-High Contrast, Black and white
-The use of an image potrayed through the illusion of the art, rather than just art itself.
-Overlapping of Shapes.
- Skewing of shapes.


[The Work of Bridget Riley]
I like Riley's work, it all seems fairly dramatic and high contrast.[left] I also like the use of gradation with the blocks of color to add to that contrast. [below]


[Things to explore based on Riley's work.]
-High Contrast, Black and white, again but perhaps bring in contrasting color.
-Overlapping of Shapes.
- Skewing of shapes.
- The gradation of color.



Another brief note: I would like to explore the idead of moving op art. These works not only seem to create space in 2d but they look as though they are moving. [below]


No comments: